The Tap Room team goes to Breckenridge
Posted: November 9, 2012
A couple of weeks ago, our fearless Tap Room team celebrated their efforts with a mountain retreat. While there, they had one Ah-Mazing Beer Dinner. Here are some of the tasty dishes that came from this creative bunch:
- Carmelize shallots and smoked ham (could use penetta bacon)-5 minutes
- Add garlic, fresh thyme-4 minutes
- Add meddler, mussels
- Stem 3 to 5 minutes until mussels open, discard closed ones
- Pull out mussels after they open up, cover to keep warm
- Add butter and fresh parsely
- Simmer and reduce for 3 minutes, use as broth and ladel over mussels
- Serve with sweet bread
Cheese pairings-smelling and tasting Meddler with each style
- La Tur which is an Italian mixed milk cheese (cow, sheep and goat).
- Piave. Italian, aged, cows milk.
- Manchego, Spanish, aged, sheeps milk.
- Seaside smoked cheddar, cows milk.
- Bleu D’Avergne French, cow blue on a slice of fresh fig.
IPA soup and salad
IPA carrot, curry cheddar soup
- Mild cheddar 1 lbs (more to taste or to thicken)
- Extra Sharp cheddar 2 lbs
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons yellow curry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large carrots
- ½ gallon heavy cream
- 1 large onion
- 4 bulbs garlic
- 1 shallot
IPA and mango vinegrette with butter lettuce and bitter greens
- Green and Red butter lettuce; purchase pre washed next time
- Rainbow chard
- We added toasted pine nuts; do not over toast or a little to strong
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Odell IPA
- Salt and pepper
- Roasted fresh mango
Cutthroat Porter main course
New York Strip with porter mushroom sauce served over sticky, coconut rice
1. NY strip, 2
2. Cutthroat porter, 2 12oz bottles
3. Leaks diced, 1
4. Garlic diced, 2 cloves
5. Fresh ginger diced, 1 TB spoon
6. Chanterelle and shitake mushrooms sliced, 3 of each
7. White rice, 1 cup
8. Brown sugar, 2 TB spoon
9. Coconut water, 1/3 cup
10. Olive oil
13. Salt, to taste
14. Pepper, to taste
15. White pepper corn, to taste
Season steaks and sear in a large saute pan then set aside. In the same pan add olive oil and saute leaks, garlic, and ginger. Add Cutthroat porter reduce in half and simmer,add brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste stirring regularly. Saute mushrooms until soft and add to sauce . If the sauce is not your desired thickness make a roux with butter and flour adding slowly. Add rice to boiling water and a third cup of coconut water cook until tender. Grill steaks to desired temp. Plate rice, steak and lightly cover with sauce.
90 Shilling Dessert
Vanilla bean ice cream with rasher bacon and caramel
- Rasher Bacon.
- The Rasher bacon was made with a pork loin roast with additional belly fat added to the cut. This is the closest way to get it in the US as we butcher the pig differently. Typical Rasher bacon has the loin and some of the belly fat cut with it.
- I cured it with 64 oz cold water with 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 tspn pickling salt. I left it in the brine for 48 hours. I bet a little more time in the brine would have salted it up a little more.
- 90 Shilling Orange Cardamom Caramel Sauce
- One 12oz bottle of 90
- 4 cardamom pods (optional)
- zest of 1/2 orange in large strips (optional)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 c heavy cream
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cook beer and spices over medium heat for about 10 minutes until reduced by half. Add butter and sugar and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft ball stage (drop some in cold water and if it forms a ball it’s done) DO NOT stir unless it is about to boil over! Carefully stir in cream and cook for about 5-6 minutes until thick. Remove from heat, add salt and vanilla and remove spices.